MyGen-logo [ Outlaw Genealogy  | Bruce History  | Lost Chords ]
[ Projects | News | FAQ | Suggestions | Search | HotLinks  | Resources | Ufo  ]

The War Between The States

Notice: Research is being conducted for a book on the 8th South Carolina Regiment, which Chesterfield County provided three companies. When completed, this book will have a detailed narrative history of the regiment and a detailed roster of biographical information on every member of the unit. Any genealogist interested in exchanging information, please contact Mac Wyckoff.

The following article is reprinted from the July 1, 1972, Bicentennial Edtion of "The Cheraw Chronical" Note: the article mentions five companies from Chesterfield County, however they did not include Co B, 26th SC, or the Chesterfield Light Artillery, known as Coit's Company, then after his promotion, Kelly's Company, nor the men that served in the State Troops and Butler's Cavalry. Of course, many Chesterfield County natives who had relocated their families served in North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi regiments.

Chesterfield County Leads SC Secession Movement

As Long Bluff had led in declaring independence from England in 1774, Chesterfield County was the first county to resolve to secede from the Union. The Charleston Mercury carried an account of a meeting Nov. 19, 1860 in Chesterfield where the people adopted a secession resolution.

A correspondent wrote: "Last Thursday there was a parade for the upper battalion...After the parade the people were addressed by the Hon. J.W. Blakeney, our senator, and Representatives Colonels McFarlan and Prince, and also by Colonel Stephen Jackson.

At the close of Colonel Jackson's speech, he submitted the question of submission or secession to a vote by the battalion, and requested all in favor of the latter to advance four paces. The whole battalion advanced four paces leaving not a solitary man for submission."

The following Saturday there was a parade for the lower battalion. The correspondent reported:

Col. Stephen Jackson

After the speaking the military spectators were requested if they approved the action of the Legislature in calling a convention, to make their approbation known by the advancing four paces to the front. A unanimous forward movement was the responce. Immediate separate seccesion and a Southern confederacy were voceriferiously demanded.

On Nov. 19, 1860 delegates were elected to the convention. Elected were Col. Stephen Jackson, Henry McIver, Esq., and Chancellor John A. Inglis.

A neatly gotten up flag of medium size, having on it a Palmetto tree with a rattlesnake curled around it, with its rattles sprung and in the attitude of striking, a lone star in one corner, and the inscription---"Immediate State Action"---floated over the public square.

After the adjournment of the meeting the whole concourse of ladies and gentlemen assembled

Hon. Henry McIver, Sr.

under it and saluted it with three cheers."Altogether it was one of Chesterfield's most glorious days her citizens a unit in their stern resolve to resist to the death the domination of Black Republican fanaticism - to die free rather than to live slaves."

South Carolina was the first state in the Union to declare its independence from the Union. The Chesterfield County delegates signed the Ordinance of Secession on Dec. 20, 1860. Chancellor Inglis was chairman of the convention's committee to draft all ordinances and he presented the comittee's Ordinance of Seccesion to the convention.

When the War Between the States broke out in 1861, the county did its part by furnishing men and supplies to the Confederacy. Five companies were organized from the Chesterfield district: Companies B, C, and D of the Eight regiment were called together April 14, 1861 under the commands of M.I. Hough, Wm. C. Coit, and Jno. S. Miller respectively. The remaining two companies organized were Companies D and E of the 21st Regiment, South Carolina Volunteer Infantry.

John A. Inglis

Inglis later was a fugitive from Gen. William T. Sherman's Union Army with a $10,000 bounty on hishead. Jackson became state treasurer and tax collector during the war and had been sheriff of Chesterfield County, a member of the legislature and county commissioner before the war.

Henry McIver became a captain in the cavalry and later became Chief Justice of the S.C. Supreme Court. The Rev. James H. M'Neilly, D.D., of Nashville, Tenn., in the "Confederate Veteran" magazine, November-December 1921 wrote: We should insist that the War between the States was the conflict of two antagonistic theories of government---one that the government is paternal, to promote material interests; the other that the government is an institute of righteousness, to see to it that justice is done between all the varying interest of men. One would make government a kind of universal helper; the other would make it a protector and defender against all forms of oppression or abuse of power. The one stood for privilege; the other for justice. To the one the Constitution was an indissoluble bond; to the other a sacred compact. The determination to withdraw from the Union was no sudden impluse of passion, but the deliberate attempt of a people to free themselves from the dominance of a section that was using the general to promote its own interests at the expense of the Southern section, and also to escape the financial interference in our domestic institutions contrary to the expresse stipulations of the Constitution. The Southern States, by their representatives in Congress and by conventions assembled, as in 1850 at Nashville, protested against these wrongs and warned of the inevitable consequences of these aggressions. When a sectional party was organized in 1854 distinctly adverse to the South and her principles and interests, when the decisions of the Supreme Court, which was organized to protect the rights of the States, were contemptuously set aside by the personal liberty bills of a majority of the Northern States; when the attempt of a mad fanatic to stir slaves to insurrection was approved by a large section of the North; and when at length a President was elected by a sectional vote and pledged to carry out the policy of his party, then secession became a living question in all of the Southern States."

Letter written by John B. Key from White Plains to his brother, Alred Key. Contributed by Dr. Gene Key.

Dear Brother:

I seat myself to write you a letter in reply to your kind letter which I received and was glad to hear from you and that your family was well. Only that J.B. Key was very low. I am sorry to hear of the death of your two sons. These few lines will inform you that myself and family are well, hoping that these few lines will come to you finding you all the same. I sympathize with you all in your distress and trouble. I have but one son in the army yet. The other two will have to start the last of this month. The company is organized. I have nothing of importance to write at present, only times are hard here and getting worse. Corn crops are good in this country. You stated that you wanted me to give you the history of my country, that would be hard to give. Only the people are determined to die before they will be subjected to the Lincoln Government. You stated that you thought you would come to see me this Fall, and you wanted me to send you the nearest depot address, you will stop at Florence and come to Cheraw, that is nearest to me, it is about thirty-five miles from me. You wanted to know about our folks. I can't tell you much about them, only Henry and Dempsey Phillips wife. Henry stays most of his time with me. Sister married. Phillips son all in the army and three of them have died. I would be glad for you to come see me for I can't come to see you. I am so clumsy that I can't travel. My daughter wants you, if you come, to fetch one of your daughters. If you would like to come to this country, I have a tract of land that nobody lives on that you may have.

I will give you the prospects of living in this country. Bacon is from 35 to 40 cents per pound, wheat is from three to five dollars per bu., corn is worth $1 per bu. Factory thread $5.00 pr bunch. Beef is worth from 10 to 15 cents per pound. Horses from $200 to $300 per head.

So I must close by saying to you that I want you to come too if you can. I remain your affectionate brother until death.

I can say to you that I answered your letter as soon as I got it.

This next letter was written by Travis Evans, Sr., to his wife Charlotte Blakeney Evans, while serving in the reserves in Georgetown. He adds a postscript to his brother, Hiram. Contributed by Harvey Griffin, July 7, 1997.

Dear wife, I take the pleasure of writing you a few lines informing you I am not very well. I have a very bad head ache & a very bad cold. I stood all night on guard duty I think was the cause. We get beaf & rice one day & rice & beef next day, sometimes a little sugar. We get plenty such as it is. There has been three deaths in camp since I have been here and a good many are sick. One man was taken in our camp for putting up an advertisement for to elect field officers. Col. Cash had him arrested and brought before him and hand cuffed him and sent him to Georgetown Jail. He has his trial today. I can't say what will be done wiwth him. I have recieved no letter from home yet. I am very anxious to hear & to know how Harriet is. Write if you have heard from Doc since the fight at Fredericksburg. I am anxious to hear from him & all the rest. I want to know when you heard from Charley Clark. There is some talk of us moving to Charleston. I want you to tell Hiram I want him to come & give you some instructions how to get along. As soon as you get salt, I want you to kill a part of the hogs and after Christmas, I (want) you to plow in the stubble ground. I want to know if Tom quit at Christmas or no. Let me know if brother John bought the Buggy at John Phillips sale or no. Ir he has I want you to get John Baker to fix the tire. I mean shrink the tire of somebody else. You can take some of that money and buy some thread if you want it. I want you all to do the best you can. I want to see you all, but can't say when for I see no chance to get off. Tell all the children howdy and give my best respects to mother. I am anxious to hear from you all. Write soon and often all the news how you are getting along. Tell Hiram I want him to see to you and I will satisfy him for his trouble. Tell Hiram to write to me. I send my best respects to his family also to write how Berry is. Tell Hiram to help kill the hogs and salt them for me. I have powerful cold & smoky times over the fire here. I wish I could be there to eat some of the back bones of them hogs & spare ribs. I am tired eating beef. Lotty I want to see you & all the rest. I wish I could be at home. Tell all the children howdy for me in particular little George. I don't want you to sell no more corn & be baking of it until I come home. Direct your letters to Georgetown Camp Chestnut 2nd Reg. of Researves, care of Capt. D.C. Phillips. I close, Remaining your affectionate husband, Travis Evans.

Brother Hiram I want to hire old Tice Beaver of any boy that you can get to stay in my place until I can come home and back. Perhaps you can get Erasmus Hunter's boy. If you get any one, let them come back with Burrell McManus and if they have not money to bear their expences, tell them to get it from my wife. Get John Baker's son and send him back with his uncle Matthew Baker. I will satisfy him well for it. Yours respectfully, Travis Evans.

The following letter was written by James P. Thompson to his Uncle, James B. Knight. Within the context, he mentions the wounding of James F. (Knight) in the thigh, who was the son of James B. Knight. During the remainder of the letter he refers to him as Frank. James P. Thompson's mother, Nancy Horton Thompson, was the sister of James B. Knight's wife, Elizabeth Horton Knight.

Dear Uncle & family, Feeling it my duty on the present ocasion to respond to you in the earliest hour, I do it with a heart felt thanks that I have returned to my resting abode once more. On the 25 Jan our company received orders to march over Black Water River in the direction of Suffolk and sent out pickets two miles in advance and on the morning of the 30th our pickets was charged on by the enemy at the hour of 4 o'clock in the morning. Our force was soon in line of battle. The enemy immediately commenced shelling our encampment, whilst our artillery opened on the enemy. The canonading lasted until the dawn of day Our batteries fell back one mile to a better position. The enemy advanced while the canonading commenced at the second position and lasted till ll o'clock am. the enemy was drove from their position. The battle closed and we returned to camp on 31 Jan. Our force composed 2000. The enemy was reported to have 15,000. The loss of the enemy we have not entertained as yet, it is reported 300 killed and wounded I cannot say how the battle terminated on our side as yet. It is said to have been one of the greatest canonadin that has occured during the present war. our battery suffered very bad. the loss in our company, one killed and 8 wounded of Charles Linton was killed. he was taken from the field alive and died the next morning, a better soldier never stood at the post of honor peace to this end. He was wounded in the head. the other eight will recover with proper attention. I will give you the names, Erasmus Hunter, wounded in the hand slightly, D Outlaw in arm slightly, Calvin Plyler in heand (hand), C Johnson in foot, RM Pegues in thigh, Thomas McLemore lost his left arm, Lieut WA Evans slightly in the arm, James F in the thigh. I was up to see Frank yesterday, he is doing well. The bone is not injured. he will get a furlough as soon as he gets able to walk on crutches. Frank is in Jusalem Hospital 8 miles from this camp. Dear uncle you may be contented about Frank, I will see that he has the proper attention. he shall have a furlough as soon as he gets able to go home. I shall visit him often as possible. I tell you it is a trying time in the hours of battle. I came out safe. I got two wounded in my detachment - Frank and D Outlaw. I was brushed with bullets and shells all around but am happy to say that I was protected by that being who rules and governs the universe. I have not time to give you much news at the present - excuse bad writing and composition as I write in hast. Fail not - not to answer as soon as you recceive.

Yours very respectfully, Jas P Thompson J B Knight

- Addrey Franklin VA - we loss 5 horses case of Capt-Coit - Lieut Blakeney loss Gen Pryors Briggde - his horse

This next letter was written by Benjamin F. Evans, son of Travis Evans, who was a 3rd Serg. in Co B, 8th Reg, SCV Infantry. Records state he died at Malvern Hill in Virginia, however this following letter was written well after that battle. He wrote it in two parts the first half to "Mother"(Charlotte Blakeney Evans) and second half to "Father"(Travis Evans). Contibuted by Harvey Griffin, July 7, 1997.

Dear mother, I seat myself to drop you a few lines in answer to your kind letter which come by the hand of Lieut. H. Blakeney & was glad to hear from you. I was sorry to hear that you all wasn't well, but I hope when this few lines reaches you they will find you all enjoying good health. Mother I have no news to write at this time that will interest you. The company is generally well. Our fare is tolerable good. We get plenty a flour, some bacon & molasses __?__ . We have some very nice weather here now. I hope it will remain so. Mother I got the clothing that you sent by Hugh & was glad to receive them. We are still in winter quarters yet , but I don't think that we will remain here much longer for the weather is getting so that they can begin to do something. I have been hearing canonnading for the last three of four days. I saw account of them fighting at Charleston, but not much damage done on either side at that time. I was glad to hear that Harriet was mending. Mother you said that you wanted me to come home, but I can't tell when I will get to come. George said I must bring him a present when I come home. Tell him I will bring it if I ever get the chance to come. Give grandmother my respects & all to Harriet & Frances. So I must close for this time. This leaves me well. Write soon. Give me all the news. Tell all the children howdy for me. So nothing more only I being your affectionate son, BF Evans. To Charlotte Evans.

Dear Father, I endeavor to drop you a few lines to let you know that I am well & I hope when this few lines reaches you they will find you enjoying the same state of health. I received the letter that you sent by Hugh & was glad to hear from you. Father I have no news to write to you at this time. We have some very nice weather out here at this time. You said that you had been trying to get someone to come & stay in my place a while till I went home, but you said that you was about to fail. You said maybe one of the Steens would come after while, but I lost all hopes of getting to come home till this war breaks. They have been such talk of they not taking a substitute. When you write again let me know whether he will come or not. I will find out whether they will take him or not. Father you said that I had better lend and what money I have got there, you wanted to know if I was willing for it to be lent out. Yes, you can lend it out to any person that is good. You said that the people was behind with the crop, I wish that I was there to help you __?__ with it. You must write as soon as this comes to hand. So, I must close for this time. So, I remain your affectionate son until death. Direct your letter to Richamond, Va in care of Capt. BT Powell 8th SCo. BF Evans (To) Mr. Travis Evans

Letter from John B. Key of White Plains to his brother, Alfred Key. Contributed by Dr. Gene Key.

Dear Brother:

I seat myself to write you a letter in reply to your kind letter which I received a few days ago, and was glad to hear that you and your family was well. Hope these few lines will come to hand and will find you all well and doing well. Me and family are doing tolerable well, that is what is at home. My boys are all in the army that is what is living. My youngest son died the 18th day of May at Petersburg, Va., and J.J. has been sick for the last four months, he was taken sick the 22nd day of March, in the camps and has not got well yet. P.P. is in the camps at Adams Run below Charleston. He and J.J. were both in the same company. Dear brother, I have had a bad time of it. I have nobody to help me work only a negro man, and he and I are both getting very old.

You wanted to know whether I was a Secessionist or not. I was that very thing. I was no Co-operationist, what good that would do for us. The North the majority anyhow, and would have carried their point. You wanted to know how produce was selling here. It is selling high. Bacon is worth $1 per pound, corn $2.50 per bu. and horses and cattle is fourfold high. Crops in this section is tolerable good if the season holds out. There has been an abundance of rain here this spring and summer.

You wanted me to send you all the news. I have no news from the war any more than you have heard, they are fighting at Charleston I suppose and the Yankees say they are determined to have Charleston, but it is thought that they will hardly get it, they may be.

You wanted to know about the law respectting what was made, such as wheat and corn. It is the same here as it is in your country. I suppose it is the same all over the Confederacy. So I have had a hard time and an abundance of trouble by I put my trust in God, knowing that He doeth all things well. I hope the Lord will bless you and keep you from all harm and if we meet no more on earth I hope we meet in Heaven to part no more. I have no more at present. Write as soon as you get these few lines and give me all the news. I remain your affectionate brother until death.

The following letter was written by John Wesley Knight to his father, James B. Knight, during the period his company was stationed in the defense of Mississippi.

Dear father as we are not marching this evening I will try and drop you a few lines in answer to your kind letter which come to hand and found me well. This leaves me well hoping that it may come safe to hand and find you and family all well and doing well. I have nothing of importance to write to you more than I got through that seven days fight that we had at Jackson Miss. Dear father I can tell you that we had hard times there fore we lay in the intrenchments 8 days of which there was more or less fighting going on. We was in range of the yankees sharpshooters so that we could not poke our heads out without being shot or was out on pickett still nearer them. Then I tell you that we had to ly low or they was picking at us on all sides the fight was nearly all heavy skirmishing. They charged on our best works two or three times but we drove them back without very much loss on either side. I think that we could have held that place if the yankees couldn't get round our army but they was about to out flank our lines and we had to leave the city to save ourselves. Johnson is smart in a retreat we left the trenches at 12 o'clock in the night marched all that night and next day and the next day making 2 days, then lay by day and half then marched another day, stayed there 2 days and nights, then moved 2 or 3 times a little there and there till we never know wheather we can get to write or not. We lost 27 men out of our regiment killed and wounded. There was 2 of our company very seriously wounded and I fear mortally for WG Rivers. PW Manez (or Massey) was wounded in about the right breast and came out under the right shoulder blade. Massez was hit in the arm. It went through his arm and in his side making it bad wound. our force was said to be fifty eight thousand the yankees 75 thousand but I don't know how true it was. I can't see what is the reason the yankees don't get before our army I think they yankees left about the same time we did but I don't know but what they are after us. Dear father I tell you that this is a hard life for I haven't had on a clean shirt since the first of July. The reason is we haven't had the chance but they say that we are going to stay here a while and I am going to try and clean myself in the morning. There is a talk in the army that this state is going to go back in th union but I don't pretend to say that it is. So though I think that there is something doing for Johnson's army and Grant's army is here together and doing nothing and I can't see for my life what they are doing would to God that peace could be made and I could get to come home for I am tired of this sort of a life. They say that they are fortifying another place near Meridian but I don't know wheather we will go there or not or where we will go we are in Frenches Division. It is getting dark and I will have to close for this time by saying I was truly glad to hear from you and to hear that you was able to be up and doing. I was glad to learn that Frank got to go back home and stay till he got well. You must excuse my bad writing and spelling for there is a mighty stur up. Write soon and fail not direct the same way so no more for this time. Howdy father and mother and all the children. I still remain your son until death.

John W. Knight to James B. Knight, Esq

This isn't a Chesterfield County letter, but thought it very interesting. John C. Price, born in Union County, North Carolina (neighboring Chesterfield to the north) enlisted at age 33 on August 21, 1862, as a Private in Company F 48th Regiment NC Troops, known as Waxhaw's #2. He died in a hospital at Gordonsville, Virginia, January 26, 1864, of pneumonia.

John C. Price to Adeline Price, October 25, 1863, State of VA, Camp near Brandy Station

To Mrs. Lydia A. Price. Dear and kind wife I seat myself this morning to let you know I am well at this time only this Va smoke is hurting my eyes very bad. I truely hope these few lines will reach you in due time and find you well and harty. I received your kind letter wrote October the 18th. I received it October the 24th and was glad to hear from you and to hear you had got home safe and sound and well. I am glad to hear the neighbors is well. I want to see E.M. Price and if I can't see him, I want to read a letter from him. You said tell William E. Pressley he was at his fathers. Ican't do that for he is in Yankeedom a prisoner. Out of two brigades there was about one thousand killed and wounded and taken prisoner. I can't tell you how it was so many but it was managed quere. I will tell you there is talk of sending us to West Tennessee. I don't know whether they will send us there or not for we don't know what minuet they will send or where or how, but I want to get out of the smoke. I have just been to preaching. I have heard a great sermon today. I want to hear from mother and the girls. I want to hear how they are getting along if she has made enough to do her or not. I want to know if the land is divided yet or not. I want Adaline to have my part of that land. I want Adaline to have all that belongs to me or my part of all the lands if I don't get home again. I want Adaline to pay all my debts and then have all the rest. But I think I will get to come home again. Mother I am glad to hear you and Adaline gits along so well as you do. I wish everybody would do so. I am not uneasy about mother and girls and Adaline but what they will pull well together.

A few lines to Dell Price. Dear father and mother you can look on the other side and see how I am. I truely hope these few lines will reach you in due time and find you all well and harty. I would like to hear from you all and hear what for crop you have made. I want you to attend to Adalines affairs and don't let nobody fool her out of her land. I don't want no one lese to have it but Adaline. I want all of you to do the best you can for yourselves, I must close by saying I remain yours as ever this from

State of NC

Union, County

Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions, April term 1864

Then the forgoing paper writing was admitted to probate in due form of law as the Holograph Will of John C. Price, deceased.

Blandsford Church Plaque







He was severely wounded and died after the war from the effects of the wound



Burris, G.W., Sergt. Maj.


Woods, J.N., Corporal

Hoke, W.A., Priv.

Roney, Patrick, Priv.

Swett, Josiah, Priv.


McConnell, A.J., 1st Lt.

Crowder, J.W., Sergt.

Boulware, Pinckney, Priv.

Coleman, Robert C., Priv.


Pratt, Henry, 1st Lt.

Hartness, A.B., Sergt.

Bolin, L., Corpl.

Chambers, W.H., Corpl.

Cole, H.P., Priv.

Dover, W.M., Priv.

Elmore, W.M., Priv.

Lanier, Peterson, Priv.

Mullinax, A., Priv.

Smith, A.T., Priv.

Thomas, J. Wesley, Priv.


Brown, W.P., Priv.

McKeown, J.B., Priv.

Wilson, David, Priv.


Merritt, R.N., Corpl.

Meadows, J.A., Priv.


Lowry, Samuel, Lieut.

Moore, G. Watts, Sergt.

Hope, Meek, Priv.

Moore, Blanton, Priv.

Pollard, William, Priv.

Whisenantt, Roso H., Priv.


Brant, W.J., Priv.

Chassereand, J.F., Oruv.


McMurray, J.S., Sergt.

Blaylock, J.D., Priv.

Campbell, H.W., Priv.

Gardner, W.C., Priv.

Gaunt, A.R., Priv.


Howe, J.L., Ord. Sergt.

Williams, J.M., Sergt.

Caldwell, R.M., Priv.

Minter, John, Priv.

Starr, W., Priv.

Swann, Eaton, Priv.

18th REGT.


McCormick, Samuel, Sgt.

Willard, C.Y., Sergt.

Wolf, Samuel H., Sergt.

Marony, S.S., Corpl.

Brown, John L., Priv.

Coleman, Henry A., Priv.

Edwards, A.B., Priv.

Edwards, Isaac, Priv.

Gregory, John, Priv.

Harris, Edward, Priv.

Harris, A.H., Priv.

Humphries, Geo.. W., Priv.

Ivey, H., Priv.

Jolly, B.A., Priv.

Jolly, Joseph, Priv.

Lemaster, Richard S., Priv.

Mitchell, J.M., Priv.

Quinn, McDuffie, Priv.

Quinn, Wesley, Priv.

Robertson, W.S.B., Priv.

Sanders, William, Priv.

Sipple, Henry, Priv.


CO. A Con't

Turner, T.J., Priv.

Zedaker, John, Priv.


Fowler, J.H., Corpl.

McDaniel, John, Priv.


Ray, S.J., 1st Lt

Lawson, W.M., 2nd Lt.

Witten, Henry, Corpl.

Bailey, Elmore G., Sergt.

Bailey, John, Priv.

Bishop, E.G., Priv.

Birdwell, W.J., Priv.

Burnett, W.M., Priv.

Jackson, Robt., Priv.

McKenzie, Potser, Priv.

Prince, Jefferson, Priv.

Waldrop, Thomas, Priv.


Briant, J.B., 2nd Lt.

Farmer, J.R., Priv.


Anderson, J.N., 2nd Lt.

Kelly, J.T., Corpl.

Neighbors, J.R.M., Priv.


Foster, J.W., 3rd Lt.

Jones, Columbus, Priv.

Moore, John, Priv.

Mullinax, A.J. Jr., Priv.


Hardwick, A.S., 1st Corpl.

Pursley, F., 2nd Corpl.

Archer, H.S., Priv.

Brown, S.R., Priv.

Dowdle, W.J., Priv.

Hagerty, J.F., Priv.

Jamieson, W.T., Priv.

Lynor, W.W., Priv.

McCarter, J.E., Priv.

McCartey, W.W., Priv.

McGill, T.C., Priv.

Mitchem, A.T., Priv.

Quinton, Andrew, Priv.

Rogers, John, Priv.


Martin, R.H., Sergt.

Adkins, J., Priv.

Boyd, Thomas, Priv.

Hamel, A., Priv.

Hudleston, J.H., Priv.

Thorn, F., Priv.

Youngblood, R.C., Priv.


Berry, T.W., Priv.

Hill, W.A., Priv.

Wadsworth, John B., Pvt.


Bridges, W.C., Captain

Young, J.P., 1st Corpl.

Turner, P.W., 4th Corpl.

Green, W.F., Priv.

22nd REGT.


Fleming, David G., Col.

Gleaton, G.G., Sgt. Maj.

Steel, J.T., Q.M. Sgt.


Alton, J.R., 1st Sergt.

Coleman, C.C., Priv.


Reese, R.M., 2nd Sgt.

Wheeler, Jas. A., 3rd Sgt.

Mason, J.R., 4th Sgt.

Hutson, L.M., 1st Corpl.

Keller, Y.A., 2nd Corpl.

Leister, Jefferson, 3rd Corpl.

Allen, John, Priv.

CO. B Con't

Atkins, M.J., Priv.

Barker, J.A., Priv.

Barker, W.T., Priv.

Bonner, G.W., Priv.

Brown, Albert, Priv.

Brown, James, Priv.

Collins, Lazarus, Priv.

Clayton, Jasper, Priv.

Darby, John C., Priv.

Duncan, Joel, Priv.

Duncan, James, Priv.

Duncan, Judge, Priv.

Evans, Moses, Priv.

Ford, William, Priv.

Green, J.E., Priv.

Howne, N.S., Priv.

Kindricks, James, Priv.

Leister, A.H., Priv.

Mason, G.W., Priv.

Mason, T.M., Priv.

Owens, Richard, Priv.

Richards, Levi, Priv.

Reese, Z.S., Priv.

Riddle, Benjamin, Priv.

Wood, Benjamin, Priv.


Quattlebaum, J.R., 2nd Lt.

Chapman, T.S., Priv.


Cox, J.B., 3rd Sergt.

Barker, W.R., Priv.

Dyer, John, Priv.

Reid, H.T., Priv.


Funderburk, W.W., Sergt.

Ellis, W.K., Priv.

Harris, James H., Priv.

Laney, O.E., Priv.

Spray, John J., Priv.


Price, C.A., Sergt.

Gilstrap, Elias, Sergt.

Grindley, Joseph, Priv.

Harrison, F.B., Priv.

Manley, P.F., Priv.

Riggins, A.R., Priv.

Stewart, A.B., Priv.


Smith, A.J., 1st Sergt.

Calahan, J.W., 2nd Sergt.

Martin, W.A., 3rd Sergt.

McMurty, J.F., 4th Sergt.

Millikin, S.W., 2nd Corpl.

Hendrick, W.C., 3rd Corpl.

Prichard, W.L., 4th Corpl.

Chamblee, A.F., Priv.

Chastine, R.L., Priv.

Clark, Henry, Priv.

Evatt, B.F., Priv.

Farmer, Josiah, Priv.

Fennell, W.M., Priv.

Garrett, J.A., Priv.

Hackett, J.W., Priv.

Hinton, J.A., Priv.

Hunter, W., Priv.

Johnson, H.W., Priv.

Jolly, L.D., Priv.

Lawless, Edmond, Priv.

McGaha, Thomas, Priv.

Martin, J.A., Priv.

Mitchell, H.W., Priv.

Mullikin, F.M., Priv.

Pool, E.M., Priv.

Rives, S.W., Priv.

Scott, John, Priv.

Shearer, P.O., Priv.

Sherriff, John, Priv.



CO. G Con't

Smith, B.R., Priv.

Smith, R.A., Priv.

Sysemore, Berry, Priv.

Walker, H.A., Priv.

Wyatt, R.F., Priv.


Harrison, J.M., 2nd Lt.

Ayres, D., Priv.

Hawkins, S., Priv.

Plumley, B., Priv.

Trammel, A., Priv.

Trammell, F.B., Priv.


Martin, J.W., Lieut.

Stevenson, D.S., Priv.


Patterson, T.D., Sergt.

Maret, R.W., Sergt.

Hyde, J.W., Corpl.

Cain, Aron, Priv.

Cain, Joel, Priv.

Campbell, James L., Priv.

Collins, J.S., Priv.

Gray, J.S., Priv.

Gray, J.H., Priv.

Herbert, J.D., Priv.

Hubbard, W.H., Priv.

Hyde, J.W., Priv.

Lindsey, W.H., Priv.

Mason, A.J., Priv.

Mason, J.B., Priv.

Minton, F.M., Priv.

Padgett, J.N., Priv.

Shirley, Stephenson, Priv.

Treadway, G.T., Priv.

Treadway, J.E., Priv.

23rd REGT


Kelly, D.E., Ensign


Currin, A., Priv.

Dees, Aaron, Priv.

McRae, W.B., Priv.

Pigg, P.P., Priv.

Sill, J.H., Priv.

Smith, E.C., Priv.


Lake, J.K., 1st Sergt.

Dennis, Jesse, Priv.

Lowery, J., Priv.

Prescott, W.M., Priv.

Sims, J.H., Priv.


Beam, A.Y., Priv.

Miller, Joseph, Priv.

Omelvancy, Jas., Priv.


Proctor, Aaron, Priv.

Calhoun, Jno. C., Priv.


Britt, J.L., Priv.

Jones, Wesley, Priv.


Mims, R.A., Priv.

Richbourg, J.W., Priv.


Shaw, R.D., Corpl.

Richburg, J.A.H., Priv.

Thompson, J.Y., Priv.

26th REGT.


Williams, W.B., Priv.

CO. H.

Chander, S.M., Corpl






Major-General Bushrod R. Johnston, commanding the Confederate forces at the

Battle of the Crater, in his report pays this tribute to the South Carolina

soldiers, "In the events of the thirtieth of July there will perhaps be found nothing

more heroic or worthy of higher admiration than the conduct of the South Carolina Regiments."

Letter from John B. Key of White Plains to his brother, Alfred Key. Contributed by Dr. Gene Key.

Dear Brother:

I seat myself to write you a few lines to let you know that we are all well, hoping that these few lines will find you all enjoying the same. Dear brother, I was glad to receive your letter to hear from you and to know that you were aliving. My son Pleasant's family is all well, but himself he is not well. He is still at home on sick furlough. The last time I saw sister Polly she and her husband were both well, four of her sons are dead and the rest are in the army. Alfred and his family are all well, one of his sons is at home with one of his legs off, and the other son is in the army but can't hear from him.

You wanted to know about Henry, the last time I heard from him, he was at Marth Pittman's, one of your brother Jepthe's children. I have heard that he has given her all that he had to take care of him. As for the money he owes you, you have got as much of it as you will ever get, I expect. You wanted to know if he said anything of your family. I never heard him say a harm word about you of your family.

Wheat prices were very sorry here, corn looks tolerable well in some places, prices of corn is from $6 to $20 per bu. Wheat is from $25 to $30 per bu. Flour is from $90 to $100 per sake, bacon is from $3 to $3.50 per pound.

The last account I have had from the Army, they were still fighting about Petersburg, Va. Our men took 10,000 prisoners, there was a great loss on each side but I don't know how true it is. I heard that the Yankees were in Alabama destroying things. Iwant you to write whether it is so.

As for sister Betsy's children, Idon't know but two of the boys I reckon are in the army.

I must close write soon and give me all the news.

The following article came from The Pageland Journal March 19, 1912 issue. The skirmish between Kilpatrick's cavalry and Wheeler's cavalry occured in Lancaster County which is on the opposite side of Lynches River from Chesterfield.

Mrs. S. E. Belk of Lanes Creek Township tells the following story and would like to have the information concerning the men named. "On the last day of Febraury or first of March 1865, there was a skirmish between a squad of Confederate and Federal soldiers at the home of my father, the late John W. Belk, who lived at that time seven miles northeast of Lancaster, South Carolina. It was during Sherman's raid, about 15 Yankees, Kilpatrick's cavalry came dashing up to our yard and went first to our smokehouse and took all the hams and shoulders they could find, tied them to their saddles and were preparing to leave, some of them having mounted their horses when a squad of Confederates, Wheeler's cavalry, rode up and were firing away a great deal quicker time than it takes to tell it. The Yankees cut the hams and shoulders of meat from their saddles an fled for their lives down a hill, the Confederates in hot pursuit. The running fight kept up for a distance of a quarter of a mile or more and one Federal soldier, Leroy Van Corney from Ohio, was shot through the head and instantly killed. Another Federal soldier was mortally wounded, being shot in the small of the back. His name was Smith, but I do not know where he was from. A Federal soldier named Williams was badly wounded, being shot in the breast and shoulder. Two Yankees were taken prisoners. After the battle was over, Wheeler's men came back to our house and told my mother to try and get the wounded Yankees to the house and not let them die, if she could prevent it. The wounded men were calling for water over in the woods where they had fallen. My mother told Wheeler's men that she would do everything in her power to save the mens' lives, that she would get them into the house, if it was possible to bring them. My mother and my sister, after both the Confederates and Federals had left, went and brought two wounded men to the house and carried one of them in a sheet. Mr. W.D. Starnes, now of Jackson Township, was a very small boy at the time and he was at our house and he did everything he could to help my mother and sister with the wounded men. After the men were taken to the house, mother and sisters dressed their wounds and nursed them as best they could until the evening of the next day, when some Federal soldiers, under a flag of truce, came from their camp four of five miles away, and took their wounded comrades away. The ones who came after the wounded men started from their camp with an ambulance, but could not get it to our house as heavy rains had put a creek near the house far past fording. They left their ambulance at the creek and crossed it on a foot log and carried the wounded in sheets across the foot log and to the ambulance. The sheets were borrowed from my mother and those Yankees promised to return them, but have not returned them yet.

Now a word about Leroy Van Coney, who was killed at our house. My father buried him near the spot where he fell and a patch of grass now marks his grave. I visited his grave about a year ago. My object in giving this bit of true war history is that it may be seen by someone who took part in that skirmish or who came under the flag of truce or who may have knowledge of the fight and that they will inform the relatives of the dead men concerning the manner of his death and his burial place."

Sherman Leaves Mark In Chesterfield County

'Major George Ward Nichols, an officer on General (William T.) Sherman's staff, who published later in 1865 "The Story of the Great March" said, regarding this movement: "The orders to the commanders were to move their troops in a direction which was indicated in general terms, but they were to concentrate at Cheraw, on the PeeDee, at about the same time. The purpose seems to have been to gain the bridge crossing the PeeDee at Cheraw - an object of great importance, for the swamps, spread out for miles on either side of the river below that city. Meanwhile, the left wing with Kilpatrick's cavalry, were to amuse the enemy with the idea that we were advancing on Charlotte," the chronicler continues.

The main body of the army advanced on a line extending at least from Camden to Chester with raiding parties and stragglers on each side. The movement was eastward across the Wateree River and Lynch's Creek as fast as the bad weather, poor roads and heavily laden wagon trains permitted.

Sherman anticipated more opposition than he encountered---even to the extent that some of the troops under Lee, near Richmond, might be withdrawn to oppose him. As it was, only limited forces were available to forestall his advance and they were insufficient to do more than momentarily delay his forward movement.

On March 1, the General's camp was on the east side of Lynch's Creek only 20 miles from Chesterfield. Here word reached him that advance units were "At a point 13 miles from Cheraw, and had found the enemy entrenched in their front." The information futher indicated that: "a great battle was probable."

This point could have been the old "breast works" across the Old Wire Road near Patrick where the beleaguered Confederates had formed crude defences by digging ditches and piling the soil from them on top of lightwood lags laid in front.

By March 1865 Gen. Sherman entered Chesterfield County with the 20th Corps after a brief skirmish with the Confederate Cavalry.

Sherman remained overnight in Chesterfield which he called a "dirty little town" af about 20 houses, one hotel, and a court house. Before leaving, his troops burned the courthouse and several buildings. The 17th Corps was encamped near Cheraw, ready to occupy the town the following day, and the 15th Corps was close by. The general proposed to join the 17th Corps in Cheraw on March 3. As the 17th Corps entered Cheraw from the west, Confederates crossed the PeeDee River over the old wooden bridge and burned it behind them. Gen. Sherman rode into Cheraw during the morning of March 3 in a drizzling rain.

Chesterfield Courthouse Burned 1865

Daniel Blue McArn, father of the late Dr. McArn, was mayor when Sherman's army arrived. Dr. McArn recalled hearing that the mayor and town wardens went to the end of Market Street. They met Union Gen. John A. Logan with a white flag in order to keep the town from being destroyed. The soldiers camped about in tents all over and around the town. A Cheraw resident at the time many years later wrote of their arrival: "Immediately the steets were filled with bluecoats. They seemed to have sprung from the ground. These bluecoats rushed into houses demanding keys, and when they were not forthcoming, broke open doors with their guns. They chased and beheaded every foul found in the yards, and pantries were emptied. In the country, where they did not appropriate, they destroyed."

Cheraws warehouses were filled with both military and civil stores sent up from Charleston prior to the Confederate evacuation of that city. "Because of the lack of adequate transportation facilities, most of these supplies had not been removed from Cheraw. There was no railroad north."

Confederates carried as much with them as they could when they left Cheraw. As they left an effort was made to destroy the commissary supplies and cotton. Tons of meal, rice and flour were poured into the street and cotton was fired.

An immence amount of ordnance, consisting of 24 guns, 2,000 muskets, 3,600 barrels of gun powder, 5,000 rounds of artillery ammunition and 20,000 rounds of infantry ammunition was captured by the Union Army.

Some of the ordnance was fired later here in Cheraw in celebration of Lincoln's second inaguration, March 4, 1865. " At Cheraw, the carelessness of one man around an immence pile of powder cost the lives of several soldiers. The powder exploded and in a flash the whole sky seemed to burst into flame. Mule teams stampeded and general pandemonium reigned for a short while. As the debris began to fall in every direction, not a few soldiers found themselves 'going up the street at no dignified pace'."

General W.B. Woods, commanding the First Divison of the Fifteenth Army Corps reported the incident as follows: The explosion which occured near this command today, - was caused by the accidental ignition of a large quantity of rebel ammunition which had been found in the Town of Cheraw and hauled out and thrown in a deep ravine lying between the town and the pontoon bridge. This ammunition consisted of loaded shells and loose powder. The bottom of the ravine to a depth of four or five feet was filled with it, and powder was scattered up the banks of the ravine, and for several rods from the edge of the ravine. While the bridge was halting, having stacked arms to await the passage of the train, of which it was the rear guard, some of the men at a distance of several rods from the edge of the ravine are reported to have applied fire to some small cakes of powder found upon the ground. The fire immediately ran to the edge of the ravine, down the bank, and exploded the immense piles of ammunition in the bottom of the ravine. One man of this brigade was killed and one officer and four men wounded. After diligent inquiry I am unable to ascertain the names of the men who set fire to the powder, but have no doubt they were ignorant, as I was myself, that any explosive material was in the ravine."

Local accounts continued: "Suspecting sabotage, Gen. Sherman was on the verge of ordering the town burned to the ground when he learned that his own men were responsible for the explosion.

Orders to burn the town were not necessary. In three days of occupancy, the soldiers managed to sack and burn most of the business establishments in Cheraw," according to one old account of the times.

Guards were able to protect property and then on Sunday, March 5, the burning began. At least one residence and most of the business section were destroyed by fire the day of the Yankees' leaving.

"Around Cheraw, foraging activities were greatly intensified. The army had plenty of meat, but was running low on foodstuffs, the foraging parties went out daily. They found the country rich enough to furnish abundant provisions for both men and horses," an account stated.

In preparation to Sherman's arrival in Cheraw, local supplies were consumed as much as possible. The Union Army contained some 65,000 men and 20,000 camp followers which had to be fed along the route.

"Stories that Sherman's men would take everything except the clothes on one's back, started the ladies to wearing as many as three dresses at a time. Underneath these clothes and tied around their waist were bags of rice, flour, sugar and coffee," an account stated.

At Cash's Depot a "lady of refinement" was "compelled to undress before a group of foragers so they might search her clothing for hidden valuables."

The Cheraw and Darlington Railroad was ordered destroyed as far south as Darlington. Sherman also sent a mounted infantry force to Florence to level the depots, trestle-work, bridges and public buildings and stores. The Confederate Cavalry and infantry stopped the Union Cavalry from completing some of this mission.

A Union reported stated: "The results of the expedition may be summed up as follows: The destruction of 500 yards of trestle work, 2 depots, 11 freight and 4 passenger cars, 4,000 pounds bacon, 80 bushels wheat, 50 sacks corn, 250 bales of cotton, one printing office, 1 caisson and battery wagon, 30 stands of small-arms and the capture of 31 prisoners. Our casualties are 7 wounded and 8 missing. A lieutenant and one man are reported to have beer captured at Society Hill on our return."

On March 6, Sherman crossed the Pee Dee River at Cheraw over a pontoon bridge he had been waiting for and the army marched on to Fayetteville, N.C. through Marlboro County.

"I well remember the night that followed (their leaving)," wrote one woman to a friend many years later.

"As twilight came the whole town was in darkness - total darkness. The streets that for three nights had been so brightly lighted by their fires and bonfires, were now dark and deserted - and the stillness was oppressive. We were afraid to go to sleep. When the morning came, what a scene of desolation met our eyes.

"Charred remains of their fires down the middle of the street; not a fence to be seen the whole length of Third Street. They had used them to keep their fires burning. Not a business house left on Front Street. We had very little food left, and no place to buy more as every grocery store with its contents had been destroyed."

The Confederacy fell in April 1865. By November 1865 the South Carolina Legislature ratified the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution prohibiting slavery.

Congress offered the 14th Amendment giving Negroes the right to vote and sit on juries. The S.C. Legislature refused to ratify it. The state was then put under U.S. military rule and in 1868 a military governor was sent in by Congress. The 14th Amendment passed.

The years 1868 to 1874 were known as a period of "Rule of the Robbers." The Ku Klux Klan then formed to control Negroes and check the operations of their white leaders.

In 1876 Gen. Wade Hampton was nominated for governor and was elected. The "Red Shirts" were formed to put down disorder and defend white interests against the Negro militia.

In 1876 Hampton and Gov. Daniel H. Chamberlain had two governments in session in Columbia as Chamberlain refused to vacate his office. This continued until April 1877 when President Hayes ordered the removal of federal troops.

The South Carolina Constitution adopted in 1895 again disinfranchised Negro voters.

The following is the recanting of the War Experince of "Uncle Henry" Funderburk as recorded in the Pageland Journal by Harry H. Tucker in the celebration of his 92nd birthday.

"Mismanagement is likely to ruin the New Deal," says W.H. Funderburk of Pageland, who will be 92 years old tomorrow. Uncle Henry, as he is popularly called by all who know him, says that as far as he knows he is the patriarch of the Funderburk generation which comprises hundreds of families in the communities adjacent to Pageland.

The son of Joshua C. and Monica Funderburk, he was born on their farm at Dudley, in the western part of Chesterfield County, March 5, 1847. He is now the only surviving member of a family of five children, two boys and three girls.

At the age of 16, he enlisted in the First South Carolina Regiment, then stationed at Charleston under the command of B.A. Butler, and assigned to Company "A" of which T.A. Huganin was captain.

"My biggest thrill during the war came at Cheraw," he commented. "We had been ordered out of Charleston after General Johnston, commander in chief of the southern division of the Confederate Army had heard that Sherman's army had just burned Columbia. We marched to Florence and there took a train to Cheraw where we learned that Sherman was right on our heels. Because we were outnumbered four to one, we were ordered to cross the Pee Dee River and burn the bridge. After we had all crossed, Captain Huganin ordered me to set fire to the bridge. This I did and experienced quite a thrill when I saw it going up in smoke and realized that the Yankees would be stopped at least for a while."

"We marched on into North Carolina through Fayetteville and on to Averysborough. Sherman overtook us there, but we managed to get our wagon trains across the river. Moving on to Bentonville, we had a battle with Sherman which lasted all day."

"We remained at Bentonville three weeks and then General Johnston began a march to unite our army with Lee's army in Virginia. At Haw River we met Lee's soldiers returning home after surrendering to Grant at Appomatox. We marched to Greensboro and surrendered to Sherman which was the bitterest pill I've ever had to swallow."

"We each recieved one Mexican silver-dollar and 100 Confederate two-dollar bills for our services in the army. I traded this worthless paper money for two silver dollars and came home with a total war earnings of three Mexican silver dollars," he said.

After his return from the army, he married Miss Candis Parker, and six children were born to them. After the death of his first wife, Uncle Henry married Miss Mollie E. Moore, who bore him 10 children. In 1918, some years after the death of his second wife, he married Mrs. M.J. Knight, who is still living. Only nine of the 16 children now survive. Miron, the yougest son, who now lives in Florida, was a soldier in the World war.

"I had a hard time during Reconstruction days," continued Mr. Funderburk. "The carpet baggers and scallawags from the North got control of the government and wouldn't even allow us to vote. I'll always be grateful to Ben Cameron who organized the Ku Klux in North Carolina and South Carolina. We captured 10 of the 12 scallawag arsenals one night. The morning after this raid, the negro lieutenant-governor was found dead on the State house grounds with a note warning Governor Moses that the same thing might happen to him if he did not leave the State. Wade Hampton was elected Governor of South Carolina and Zeb Vance was made Governor of North Carolina, thus ending the carpet bagger rule in the two states."

When questioned about present conditions, Uncle Henry says that he thinks that things will come out all right due to the religious and educational training the youth of today recieves. "I don't think the younger generation is going to the dogs, as some do, but instead I think they will save the world."

In spite of his age, Uncle Henry is still active. He attends Pageland Baptist church, where he is deacon emeritus. He has the distinction of being a Baptist deacon for the last 70 years and has always been interested in church work.

As for the future he says: "I hope to live to be 100 years old."

One of Mr. Funderburk's treasured possessions is a copy of General Sherman's terms of surrender. It reads as follows:

The General Commanding announces a further suspension of hostillities, and a final agreement with General Johnston, which terminates the war as to the armies under his command, and the country east of the Chattahoochee.

Copies of the terms of convention will be furnished Major General Schofield, Gillmore, and Wilson, who are specially charged with the execution of its details in the Department of North Carolina, Department of the South, and at Macon and Western Georgia.

Capt. Jasper Myers, Ordnance Dept., U.S.A. is hereby designated to receive the arms, &c., at Greensboro, and any commanding officer of a post may receive the arms of any detachment properly stored and accounted for.

General Schofield will procure at once the necessary blanks, and supply the Army Commanders, that uniformity may prevail, and great care must be taken that the terms and stipulations on our part be fulfilled with the most scrupulous fidelity, whilst those imposed upon our hitherto enemies be received in a spirit becoming a brave and generous army.

Army Commanders may at once loan to the inhabitants such of the captured mules, horses, wagons, and other vehicles as can be spared from immediate use, and the Commanding Generals of Armies may issue provisions, animals and any public supplies that can be spared to relieve present want, and to encourage the inhabitants to renew their peaceful pursuits, and to restore the relations of friendship among our fellow-citizens and countrymen.

Foraging will forwith cease and when necessity of long marches compel the taking of forage, provisions, or any knid of private property, compensation will be made on the spot, or, when the disbursing officers are not provided with funds, vouchers will be given in proper form, payable at the nearest military depot.

Maj. Gen'l. W.T. Sherman, by order D.M. Dayton, A.A. Gen'l. Headquaters, Army of Tennessee, Near Greensboro, NC April 28th, 1865.